Oct 30, 2012

The Devil's Backbone

Saw The Devil's Backbone. Not as scary as I'd thought, more eerie. A horror of the 'sad ghosts' variety. Like the only other del Toro movie I've seen (Pan's Labyrinth) this one used fantastical elements to tell a more realistic story. This one I could not parse. I saw almost every image in the film duplicated (the hunters bringing down a mammoth with spears, two pairs of drownings, the opening lines are also the closing lines, a bombing seen from both the bomber and bomb-ee) and thematic duplications as well, with the little war in the school beginning just before the larger Spanish Civil War itself intrudes on the school (another parallel: the dead innocent and the dead bomb seem equally powerful.) There is an interesting bunch of parallels and duplications, but I can't see what the point of it is. It's neat, and that can be a justification in itself, but I felt like there was something I'm missing.

I also think I might have seen this one before? I hate this feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment