Mar 31, 2013

Despicable Me

Saw Despicable Me (thanks, Leannasaurus Rex!) It was very sweet and charming. Dealing as it does with family with a super-hero/villain twist, I can't help but compare it to The Incredibles (which I prefer.) This is a thing I hate to do because it falls in line with the pattern-reliant mindset of the hated studio execs that probably saw the Incredibles and said 'That! I want that, but getting me money.' and doesn't do justice to the work some presumably well-meaning director, writer, and animation team put into it. I think some movies can be similar and both good in different ways. And that's the case here.

The kids were initially a bit too annoying, but they grew on me and by the end I was genuinely pumped when Gru goes into action-mode and saves the girls. The minions were a little spoiled for me because I could see they were clearly supposed to be adorable and fun and I mentally crossed my arms and said 'impress me.' Despite this, I did enjoy their antics and it's hilarious that Gru is on a first-name basis with all of them. Whew. Good movie. Long review.

No comments:

Post a Comment