Feb 27, 2014

Ben Hur (1907)

Saw Ben Hur (the 1907 version.) It was only 10 minutes long, so it was kind of a Cliff's Notes version of the story. The film is supposed to be 15minutes long and the version I got (from here) was fast-forwarded to 10 minutes (I guess they can't host files longer than 10 minutes or something) which is a bit shitty. We frantically rush from the galley to the chariot race to eventual victory (post-spoiler spoiler alert.) The old actors wave their hands in the air (like they just don't care) constantly. I believe they're hailing Caesar or something but in this sped-up yakety-sax-o-vision they look like they're all doing some kind of vigorous, land-based backstroke.

Of the film, there's not much to say beyond reporting the plot which most people know anyway. The film jittered and danced in front of me for a while but I think I'll struggle in future to remember if I've seen this before. Only 4 more ancient movies to go. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment