Mar 5, 2014

Uncle Tom's Cabin (1903)

Saw the 1903 version of Uncle Tom's Cabin. I don't really know the story of Uncle Tom's Cabin. I never had to read it in school and have had to make do with jokes and modern allusions. I gather it's an old book about slavery which is also kind of racist(?) The film is very disjointed and vignette-ish. A woman pleads with Tom to escape. A woman crosses a river on an ice floe. Slaves dance. A girl dies. An estate is sold. Slaves dance. It goes on this way, each scene only loosely connecting to the following ones. Perhaps if I knew the story it would be more comprehensible. Also, not helping matters, is my abysmal copy (feast your eyes on this merry interlude.) I couldn't even tell if anyone was in black face (I'm gonna assume they were.)

On that note, there's definitely some racism going on here (witness the adorable soft-shoe two slave kids preform at the slave-auction) but of course it was 1903 (predating the eradication of racism in America by perhaps as much as 105 years) so what can we expect. It's hard to really discern much of the racism though. It's mainly difficult to tell what's going on. Only a few more of these ancient films to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment