Jun 20, 2015

Dracula Dead and Loving It

Saw Dracula Dead and Loving It (thanks, John.) It was a Leslie Nielsen/Mel Brooks double-goof-off spoof of the Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula, a version which was goofy and fun and wild. It is already what this film tries to be. It has an extremely hard time making fun of something which already being very obviously silly without coming off as mean-spirited or irrelevant. This film rarely feels mean-spirited (I think Leslie Nielsen is sort of incapable of being mean-spirited) but it is often irrelevant. Goofy accents, gross-out gags, old British men giving way to lust, you can imagine. It's not very good.

There were a few bits I liked. There was a silly "Yes! I mean no! But maybe yes!" exchange that I liked and some of the shots near the end come close to imitating Coppola's gaudy cinematography. But most of the film was wacky crap and 90's-era CGI effects. I'd avoid this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment