Aug 6, 2016

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, a film from the Kevin Smith's ever-genial askewniverse. This feels like a very lazy film, involving broad pop-culture references, random titillating scenes, and even a cheeky monkey, but I enjoyed it anyway. It seems winking. It just involves too many pitch-perfect lame comedy references (the monkey, I feel, was intentional.) On top of that, the film is actually clever and sweet and funny. I keep expecting myself to start hating the boorish and foul-mouthed Jay but he's just such a naif. For all his goofy talk about sex, he is most likely a virgin, a holy idiot.

The film has cameos from a lot of comedians: George Carlin, Will Farrell, and (a very young-looking) John Stewart. The plot is that Jay + Silent Bob are trying to stop a film from being made so they steal a monkey from a research center under the direction of a quartet of sexy lady jewel-thieves, drawing the ire of a bumbling federal fish and wildlife officer (etc etc etc.) The film is just dumb as rocks but I frankly liked it anyway. I feel like it knows it's dumb which doesn't make it smart or anything just... a film that embraces its own shortcomings. Smith made it after Dogma and, I guess, just wanted to make a big, dumb, stupid movie that challenged nothing for anyone and that everyone could either laugh at or eye-roll at or, like I guess I'm doing here, do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment