Mar 19, 2017

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Saw Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, a relatively straightforward mystery/comedy starring Jim Carrey. It follows a man-child tracking down a stolen dolphin. The mystery part of it is pretty good. Clues get uncovered, connections are made, innocuous dogs and such give rise to flashes of insight. The comedy I didn't think was that funny but then again I'm about 20 years older than what I suppose to be the target demographic. I imagine if I was a kid when I'd seen it then I would have loved it, loved the character, and emulated his every catch-phrase (much to the dismay of everyone else.) It also has an extended bit of hilarious transphobia which annoyed me, but perhaps I'm being over-sensitive. This film was made in the early 90s when transsexuals were barely whispered about, so perhaps it's just a product of its time.

I know this film is much-beloved, so I wondered if this film would hold up to the cynical gaze of an adult decades after its release or if it was nostalgia goggles all the way down. I think it turns out, alas, it's the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment