Sep 3, 2017

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Saw Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, the Will Ferrell film where he's an anchor in the 70s. The film is mostly a vehicle for Will & company's improv so the characters are kind of inconsistent but they're almost always funny which is what counts here. The plot is that a female news anchor joins a station run by a boy's club run by Will. The film comes from 2004 and is, in it's own way, fairly progressive. The sexism of the anchors is present but condemned. The female anchor gets few punchlines but the ones she gets she nails.

I kind of don't like Will Ferrell. His characters are always fairly grating so I associate his face with Ron Burgundy, Ricky Bobby, and Mugatu. I'm sure he's a wonderful person himself, but he's always playing these people I would hate to be around. It's silly but there it is: I can't distinguish fact from fiction.

Anyway, the film is dumb fun. There's lots of quotable lines, shouted for maximum hilarity, and silly sight gags. It wasn't one of my favorites, but I am a joyless scold, so what do you expect?

No comments:

Post a Comment