Oct 28, 2017

Blades of Glory

Saw Blades of Glory, a comedy about figure-skating. Will Ferrell and that guy from Napoleon Dynamite play two rival figure-skaters who must pair up to skate together for the gold. It really only has one joke: gay people. That's it. That's the joke. It's not offensive, just kind of stale. I was actually kept sort of interested by wondering if the film would ever commit and actually have them smooch or something. There is one cannon gay couple, but they're relegated to the background, their relationship winked at and alluded to. Kind of lame.

This film feels like a throwback to the big-budget comedies of the 80s, when they would cram every comic standing nearby into some cameo and finish it up with a big, feel-good song at the end. It's sort of refreshingly unpretentious, but then I am a pretentious man. I like me my histrionics and symbolism and there isn't much here. Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment