Nov 4, 2017

The Navigator

Saw The Navigator, a Buster Keaton silent film. It was alright however it did sort of put me to sleep. In this one Buster Keaton is a pampered, rich idiot who sets sail on an abandoned boat after his girlfriend dumps him. The girlfriend is also a rich idiot and is also aboard for fairly thin reasons. They do their best to take care of themselves and lots of comic mischief ensues.

The film was deeply frustrating at parts. We watch them be comically unable to boil an egg, for example. It's very silly but I found myself getting really annoyed at their blithering attempts to do very simple tasks. Later on cannibals get involved (ugh.)

It's not a bad film, just very old and dusty. It has not aged as well as some of Keaton's better work. Either that or I'm just grumpier now. Either way, I didn't like this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment