Jan 21, 2022

Love, Simon (2018)

Saw Love, Simon, a fairly heartwarming film about a gay teen navigating coming out and highschool.  I really liked it, but it was also very hard to watch sometimes.  Being gay, any time I watch a film about gay guys, it's a lot more visceral for me.  Normally, there's a bit of remove for me in romance films and I have to sort of translate in my head,  projecting my empathy over a slightly wider gap than most people.  It's not a big deal usually, but the gay films seem a little too close, uncomfortably real.  So, the romantic scenes made me cry, and the awkward scenes (of which there's many!) had me shouting at the TV, horror-movie style.  I really enjoyed it, but I'll bet it's not high on anyone's "must watch" list.

The film takes place somewhere warm where you can wear a hoodie outdoors during Christmas.  The attractive protagonist Simon goes to an enormous school where he hangs out with a clique of similarly attractive, friendly, decent, popular kids who have enough freedom to just fuck off to a house party some night.  He lives in a mansion with his dotingly permissive and successful parents and he begins the film by narrating that he's "just like you" only gay.  Ok.

This is standard John Hughes-type stuff though (and this is a very John Hughes-type movie).  It should be regarded as escapism and wish-fulfillment and as a simple way of making sure only the central struggle with sexuality is the focus.  The film is half for adult gays who want a window into a kinder universe and half for struggling teens, trying to figure themselves out and to judge when to commit publicly.  It's a very kindly world which does not actually exist for many kids, but it's there to grant wishes and to show what could be - it's not there to be a documentary.

Anyway, the film is very standard, teen-movie stuff.  There's drama and big shouty show-downs and bullies and parents who just don't understand!  And yeah, I recognize all of this, but oh my god I loved it!  It was so sweet and so nice and it just melted my heart.  I make no claims to objectivity - this movie was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment