Aug 19, 2022

Tick, Tick … BOOM! (2021)

Saw Tick, Tick … BOOM!, a movie that I feel suffered somewhat from my never having seen the musical Rent.  This film is a biopic about Jon Larson,  the writer of that musical, Rent.  It follows his struggles to make it in the overcrowded world of Broadway musical theater as his resources dwindle and the aids crisis looms.  The film is one of these films that's sort of about following passions vs giving in an taking the easy, mediocre road.  I didn't like it very much.

In order to be really fantastically successful, it's not enough to be talented.  You also have to have such faith and confidence in yourself that you are able to shut up your own self-doubt and keep on striving, even in the face of reality.  The plot of this film is about Jon coming very close to a reality in which he  just does not make it.  He keep sacrificing more and more of his life to his talent but, you know, maybe the sacrifice won't wind up being worth it.

Unfortunately, as he alienates the other characters, they accurately call him out for being selfish and self-absorbed.  He's not just sacrificing his own life to his art, but he's also sacrificing pieces of the lives of those around him, stranding and abandoning people who want to abandon this quest.

I think the film is meant to be uplifting, but I started to really turn against Jon part-way through.  There's a confrontation where he's scolded for abandoning one of his friends and it ends up with him dashing off into Central Park to cry by himself.  He's just so upset, you see, that someone might be upset with him.  This is the moment, for me, where he shifted from "loveable guy with a dream" to "narcissist making everything about him."  This moment happens shortly before the love-fest ending where we celebrate the heck out of his legacy.

So, this film was not for me.  I am maybe too old and mediocre to be uplifted by a "follow your dreams, even in hard times" kind of message.  Maybe I would have liked it better if I had known and loved Rent, I don't know.  Not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment