Jan 11, 2024

The Endless (2017)

Saw The Endless (2017), an indie mumble-core sort of horror directed by the same guys who directed Resolution which I was not too terribly jazzed about.  Once again, we have a high-concept sort of horror which can be thought of as being a closely related to movies themselves.  It's a sort of post-modern twist.  So it's very clever, yes, but once again it's not terribly interesting to me.  I'm afraid I'm just not motivated by chilly concepts.  I get it, the way that I get the Pythagorean theorem, but it's not compelling to me as a story.

So okay, the plot starts out with two brothers who have escaped a cult.  They are struggling to make it in the outside world and the younger brother yearns for the life he enjoyed as a teenager ie: the cult.  So they decide to go back for a quick little visit (which, judging from what I know about cults is at least a horrible idea) and there they find some weird rock totems, some spookily calm cultists, and exotic drugs.  It evokes a sort of twee, indie Midsommar before it finally reveals the nature of the horror.

So it's an odd duck of a film.  It didn't beguile me clearly but it's low-key charming and very different.  It's very similar to Resolution, so if you liked that, give this a look because it's very much the same movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment