Feb 19, 2024

Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988)

Saw Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988), another film about somewhat wretched lives lived in those brick tenements in London.  This time, the film is set in the 30s-to-50s I guess, and is sort of an ethnography, documenting mostly the songs of the period.  The film alternates between vignettes of major life events (weddings, funerals, hospitalizations) and then sing-alongs at the pub.  It felt like looking through someone else's photo album: full of fragments of people's lives and pokey old memories you have to struggle to understand.

I found the film to be a bit of a sleeper, a bit of a downer.  It starts off with some really sad business involving the abusive father of the family, beating his wife and daughters, coldly refusing to acknowledge his son.  The film keeps up a slow but steady trickle of tragedy mixed in with old songs sung beautifully.  Some of the characters find happiness, others find sorrow, mostly it's a mix, but life goes on you know?  And there's another round and another song.  I've seen this kind of film before.  It's a sort of sweet film in the end, I guess, but it's slow, distant, not exactly detached but not delving deeply into any of these characters.

On a completely unrelated note, I watched this film because it appears on the top 1000 movies of all time list (here) which I'm watching in increasing order of ranking (starting at #1 and working my down to #1000).  The top films are all available for a price on premium streaming services (netflix, and paramount, and youtube rentals) then there was a dry patch where it was hard to find some films, but now they're all available free on Tubi!  I sonder what streaming service I'll start using as I go farther down the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment