Aug 25, 2012

Kingdom of Heaven

Saw Kingdom of Heaven. It was very overblown and showy, but all epics are like that. Near the end, perhaps only because I was feeling tired of it, I began noticing some spoon-fed symbolism and some distracting set-pieces (a climactic sword fight takes place in an alley where brightly colored bolts of cloth have been hung for no reason. Also, a bowl of yellow has been left out solely for one of the characters to throw into the air.) But the subject of the movie was more than just political maneuvering (though there was a lot of that) and had more to do with religious tolerance vs organized religion vs power-&-money-tee-tum-tee-tum. This is shockingly unusual for an epic and I like to be shocked, so I liked this. Also, it gets bonus points for having one character always wearing a mask. I love masked characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment