Sep 1, 2012

Voyage to Italy

Saw Voyage to Italy. It was about a husband and wife trying to salvage their failing marriage. The script/acting were very good, with both characters trying to score points and divine the other's feelings without tipping their own hand. I was disappointed that we didn't get to know the husband as well as the wife. He was supposed to be cold and distant, but it would satisfy me more if I'd seen something to love in him.

Rich tension is mined in the contrast between their petty but potentially life-changing squabbles vs the ancient and unchanging ruins of Italy. There is an excellent scene where they watch the bodies of a man and woman being excavated from Pompeii. "A man and a wife, perhaps" says the archeologist. Really good stuff. Very melancholy stuff though. I don't think I was in the right mood for it, but it was quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment