May 28, 2017

Moneyball

Saw Moneyball, a docudrama about an early application of statistical analysis to baseball. It follows the general manager of the Oakland A's as he makes a bet on statistics which is both long-shot and (of course) pretty safe. He teams up with a fat, dainty econ major and shake up the game a bit.

This film follows the rich tradition of sports films, using a crescendo of nervy violins and fast cuts to build tension to a fever pitch, so that the final fumble or triumphant catch is all the more stirring. We are also treated to a bit of drama surrounding the protagonist's divorced wife and their daughter who is adorable and exists only to give the protagonist someone to not let down. Unfortunately, all of the math is left off screen. I suppose I could look it up, but I could also look up the marital status of the protagonist as well. Unfortunately the math is what I was most interested in, but okay, the general public is hysterically bored by math. Okay.

The film is very effective, building emotional stakes for the characters and tugging along the audience's feelings with adorable children and slow motion. The script has apparently been touched a bit by Aaron Sorkin and his trademark rat-a-tat-tat dialogue shows up here and there. I also liked Philip Seymour Hoffman's minor role as a coach. He uses his bulk effectively, slouching like a tired and circumspect man. I confess I have no interest in sports so I feel like I'm not getting the entire emotional wallop that I'm supposed to but even so, it was a good solid film.

No comments:

Post a Comment