Jun 4, 2017

Liar Liar

Saw Liar Liar, the Jim Carrey film where he plays a lawyer who, because of a moppet-fuelled wish, cannot lie for 24 hours. IT was a sweet sort of film although it annoyed me, alas. I think I've just become too old and cranky and joyless to enjoy Jim Carrey's schtick anymore. He spends most of the film shrieking and flapping his arms and having some kind of intense mental breakdown but the judge will not grant him a continuance (which I guess is a delay in the proceedings.) Surely if a lawyer shows up in court rolling his eyes and gutturally moaning when asked what his case is, the court would wait until another lawyer could be found. In this oddly cruel world however, the case proceeds like normal.

Anyway, when we're not occupied with this exhibition of the failure of mental health services in the US, the film is continuing the story of Jim's relationship with his ex-wife and their son. I have to imagine the relationship was extremely taxing on that poor woman. She's got herself a new boyfriend but he's too nice and kind of lame. So, traditional values triumph by the end of the film and the cycle of abuse continues.

I'm being really mean here but this is the internal dialogue I kept up to amuse myself through the film and to avoid feeling intense embarrassment by proxy. The film is not bad. It's a bit dated (it's treatment of women leaves something to be desired) but keeps the zany musical cues coming and and Jim Carrey delivers on the writhing and shrieking. There's a scene in the post-credits out-takes where one actress jokingly calls him an overactor and Jim reacts with grace, laughing and mugging and saying "Oh no! They're onto me!" I bear no grudges, I just didn't like this film. What can I say? Too old and cranky.

No comments:

Post a Comment