Feb 10, 2018

Risky Business

Saw Risky Business, the film that I guess house-party films have been trying to copy ever since. It starts off very much like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, with a fabulously wealthy kid deciding, fuck it all, he was going to do what he wanted for a change. This is a fairly frustrating premise because it's portrayed as being very brave and liberating and more-human-than-thou and like yeah sure whatever but if I work for minimum wage what use is this example to me? The film Ordinary People dealt with the struggles of a rich family, but they were dealing with the death of their son and deaths happen to all families. Deciding to have the awesome bravery to say "fuck it" is not something I need to know how to handle (unless I've missed the point (which I feel I often do.))

That aside, the fim soon turns however when, in a fit of pre-internet-era horniness, the protagonist decides to call up a prostitute who steals his stuff and refuses to leave his parents' house. His parents are out of town, but they're returning in a few days and the protagonist's panic mounts. This gave me, the bored and decadent film-hound, a bit of schadenfreude for a while but the film is actually fundamentally on the rich kid's side so soon things start looking up (and thank goodness this film is taking the side of the rich kid because who else looking after the trust-fund babies in this cruel, harsh world?)

Despite the tricky premise, the film definitely has its moments. The much-parodied dancing-in-underwear scene is great and there's a train scene at the end which is really nice. The smirking ending feels like a lot of fun, even if it is a rich kid making good, and the moment where (of course) his parents fail to notice anything awry in the house is so good that shitty films have been copying it ever since (I'm thinking particularly of Project X here. I hated that movie so much.) I have to admit I didn't really like this movie, but I feel it wasn't really for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment