Oct 3, 2013

Baghead

Saw Baghead. It was, I believe, an actual real-live indie movie. It had actors I'd never seen before, clearly no budget whatsoever (I think I could have financed almost everything in the film on 20$,) lots of money-saving close-ups, and believably improvised dialogue. They had the artless 'um'-filled conversations that actual real people have. Amazing.

The plot is as follows: four struggling actors hole up in a cabin the woods to write the film that will star all of them and make them famous. Little romantic crossed wires and petty jealousies are revealed and then a boogeyman (or men) begins terrorizing them. It's only slightly scary (even for a big wimp like me) but it's fun. There's a lot of low-key comedy in the thing (at one point they hear the bad guy tinkering with their car. One character looks out the window and says "Is he fucking stealing the car?" As though killing them weren't bad enough. Hilarious.) as well as some predictable plot points. But the film they're writing (yeah?) is THIS FILM! I know, contrived, but I liked it. There's a lot of playing with what's going on vs what we're seeing to notice here.

Not a bad movie. Unexpected and low-key. It's an interesting take on the slasher genre with plenty of line-blurring to keep things interesting. I tepidly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment