Oct 17, 2013

Shattered Glass

Saw Shattered Glass, an apparent drama-doc about a young cool journalist who runs into hot water over a possibly fake story. I liked this film, though for purely evil, schadenfreude-laced reasons. The journalist is this young guy who flirts with the secretary, talks winningly to classrooms of pretty, blond girls, and remembers birthdays and that one woman once said she prefers her diet coke partly frozen (protip to any guys reading this: remembering unimportant details about people for years is serial-killer behavior.) At one point he oh-so-adorably bribes two people into bailing him out of a deadline with gum. I hated this guy within the first ten minutes or so and therefore had a vested interest in seeing him squirm, suffer, and fail. When he pitches his stories to the editors, he always milks his story until he has them practically drooling for more and then says "Well, I guess it's all pretty dumb, I don't know if I'll even finish it." Which of course elicits groans and teasing from the other journos and a gee-whiz grin from the protagonist. What an ass.

The film has little twists and turns, but the conclusion was so far-gone for me it was only a question of the film fulfilling my expectations or being annoying. Does that count as a spoiler? I think the ending is telegraphed pretty hard, especially for anyone who can recognize html from a slight distance.

A marvelously hate-able sociopath of a protagonist makes this picture an interesting character study and an ultimately satisfying one, if for evil reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment