Jul 17, 2013

Bigger Stronger Faster

Saw Bigger Stronger Faster. It was a sort of scatter-shot documentary about steroid use in America. The director convincingly argues that the American culture of celebrating success above all is the systemic cause of steroid usage and further argues that we are hypocritically punishing athletes for the very practices that are required of them to win. The film is shot in a Michael Moore, super-personal style. TV footage is used in a way I would describe as addling. This style of documentary is terribly convincing, but also terribly manipulative. Who can fail to be convinced by his overwhelming montages, his sad music, his very own face and voice? In my ivory tower, I prefer the talking-head type documentaries.

The most compelling counter-arguments against steroids that he has in the film come from his mother who argues not against steroids themselves, but against their causes. She doesn't care that steroid abuse is semi-illegal, she only cares that her sons don't feel successful. The director himself misses her point when she says to him that the bible can solve every problem. He counters that the bible can't make him look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, but of course the philosophy promulgated by the bible can help him to no longer want to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I believe this to be an intentional omission, because the conclusion he reaches dovetails nicely with this outlook. I can't be sure though because he seems more interested in pointing fingers and wallowing in disillusionment than providing answers. Though the pointing and wallowing make for an excellent documentary, so I can't complain.

Tangential fact about me: I actually take steroids daily. Nasal steroids. I am a nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment