Jul 1, 2013

Reservoir Dogs

Saw Reservoir Dogs. It was very blood-and-guts grim. These people show affection by insulting each other. My usual gripes with action movies apply here: the morality is simplistic, the atmosphere and characters are threatening but we're supposed to kinda want to be all the characters. And despite my better nature and despite most of my personality, it pretty much completely works. They're cool, what more can you say? They're terrible people and they make it look good. The slight-of-hand required to pull this off is elegant and a wonderful thing to behold. Even when I could tell that I was supposed to be filled with dread as the soundtrack became a growly hum and the camera went all hand-held, I was filled with dread just the same. I always feel this post-film sense of disgust with Tarantino movies, as though I'd woken up next to someone reprehensible. I imagine Tarantino would be smug if he knew. But despite all my malaise, I still enjoyed the ride and I don't think I want to stop enjoying his rides, even if it's a shitty wake-up. You win again Tarantino, you bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment