Jul 21, 2013

Femme Fatale

Saw Femme Fatale. It was interesting. It had that swiss-watch quality I like where everything is so clever and sharp that it could just cut itself. However it also had a thick layer of smart-sleaze that Tarantino does so well and that makes me so uncomfortable. This is Brian De Palma though, not Tarantino, so he's a bit more showy and blatant about his cleverness. Ultimately the cleverness upstages any mental meat the film might have. What do I care about fate and predestination when omg that totally ties into what that other guy said earlier!! A smart film but not too smart.

The central femme who is fatale is delightful though. She starts out as one of those sympathetic characters who shouldn't be sympathetic. As the film wears on she becomes at first delightfully evil and then just evilly evil. It was at this point I began to wonder where all this vitriol for attractive women came from and began trying to think of cute ways to say 'misogynist.' But then (sweet redemption,) she is a good bad girl again! So I concede, my emotions were well manipulated. Good show De Palma. I was entertained, but begrudgingly so. So, as I often say in these cases, you win this time, De Palma. You win this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment