Aug 9, 2013

Cannonball Run

Saw Cannonball Run. It starred everyone imaginable: Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore, Farrah Fawcett, Dom DeLuise, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Jackie Chan, etc etc. It was a very silly and lighthearted competition to see who could upstage everyone else. Unfortunately, this sort of film is meant to run on fires kindled by my affection for the actors involved and the only one of those people I have fond memories of is Jackie Chan who is relegated to speaking a pidgin-English gibberish and is always introduced with an oriental theme playing on the soundtrack. Ugh.

Besides this, the film is adequately zany to hold my attention but too insufferably smug to make me like the experience. The credits roll to outtakes of the actors corpsing (for heaven's sake.) I recommend it if you like the sort of 'round the world in 80 days film-star pastiches.

Edit: apparently there was once a real cannonball run. I never would have known.

No comments:

Post a Comment