Aug 11, 2013

Ripa Ruostuu

Saw Ripa Ruostuu. A very punk-y film about a penniless film-maker trying to scrape enough money together to survive. The situation spirals further and further out of control until the finale. I found its portrayal of dirt-poorness unnerving. I have more stability in my life than Ripa (the central film-maker,) but the endless fretting about cash reserves hits a little close to home. There are inter-cut little montages when he has sex with a woman. I found those montages neat, but I'm glad they restrained themselves to only a few. I think there's some kind of meta-level commentary going on. Everyone says Ripa's films are too full of sex and violence to be marketable, but Ripa is always watching old noir films and this film itself is very violent and full of sex. I feel I missed something, but maybe not. A tawdry film.

No comments:

Post a Comment