Aug 21, 2013

Dekalog V

Saw Dekalog V, Thou shalt not kill. It had this strange yellow/green filter on the whole time (again, just my copy?) which provided for some visual variety but I think detracted from the chilly austerity of the series. The rough plot: a punk kills a man at random and is then executed by the state. The kid's brutal and senseless crime is contrasted with the grotesque and purposeful state-appointed execution. There is a scene with a man turning a crank that is almost comically hideous. A lawyer taking an oral exam is shown beforehand laying out the difference between justice and revenge which I think is the lens to view corporal punishment through.

Another maybe-Christ-carrying-the-cross sighting: the camera lingers on a man carrying a large step-ladder. Again, a lack of little diorama-like images (save the man at the crank and another scene where the punk winds rope around his fist.) There is plenty of stomach-clenching anxiety produced by the killing(s). This one was a little tougher to watch than the others so far and much less chilly in its ruminations.

1 comment:

  1. I FINALLY saw this, and I agree with you (no surprise there). I thought it was a grim and disturbing film, but certainly thought-provoking -- I am very opposed to capital punishment. (Timea Here again)

    ReplyDelete