Aug 8, 2013

Peut-être

Saw Peut-être (thanks, Nina! It turns out I still don't have subtitles for Tout Ce Qui Brille. It's infuriating.) The film was a French sci fi which in my limited experience means light spectacle presented in a sort of 'here it is' way with a heavier emphasis on character. Full disclosure: the only other french sci fis I've seen were these animated ones which were all directed by this guy, and so are not representative of any kind of cultural approach to science fiction. At any rate, this film was about a man who doesn't have sex with his girlfriend and is contacted by his future-descendants who are now vanishing away Back to the Future-style. The fantastic future is covered with sand up to the rooftops which is pretty neat. I really liked the funky techno soundtrack. The film is light on action and spectacle which is a pity, but heavy on philosophical questions which is nice. Doubly nice is that these philosophical questions are not over-teased and usually relegated to the background behind the much more interesting characters. The film is also kind of playful. Nothing is ever too serious. I was a little annoyed by this because without some stakes, what do we care what happens? But the movie was such a puppy-dog of a film, I forgive it its light heart.

Edit: Darn it all, I messed up the name at first. Now everyone will know I don't speak French!

No comments:

Post a Comment