Aug 12, 2013

Offside

Saw Offside. It was completely awesome! It revolves around some girls who try to sneak into a soccer game in Iran. Women not being allowed in such a sweaty environment, they are caught and cruelly kept in a holding-pen out of sight of the game and the action. I anticipated a sober and difficult exploration of gender roles. I braced for the inscrutability of a completely foreign set of social norms. Instead I got a delightful, brilliant movie about the power of sports to unify and uplift, even in the midst of oppression. I felt the film becomes just a touch too perfect near the end (with the introduction of a firework-smuggling boy,) but the joy of the girls when a goal is scored and their anxiety when their team is in trouble is completely genuine and infectious. Their performances completely make this movie. The ending is so deliriously happy, I cried with joy. Great, good movie.

also: hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment